Monday, July 23, 2012

Baking

I just re-read this blog. Boy am I wordy. But I read that every time we recall a memory, the act of accessing this information in our brains changes the way the memory is constructed, so memories can become distorted over time. (There's one reason eyewitness testimonies are not the most reliable.) So the fact that I so thoroughly document the things that make me smile makes my recall more reliable. Huzzah! Anyway, baking is one of the things that makes me happy. Exhibit A.
My dad gets so excited about good produce he can get a little carried away with the amount he purchases or plants. In this case I wanted to use up an abundance of strawberries before they got moldy in the fridge. So I found a recipe for strawberry summer cake and it was magnificent! I eyeballed 7/8 cup of sugar for the batter as per the blogger's suggestion, used regular butter and left out the additional salt, and substituted wheat flour for barley flour (though I would very much like to try using that some time!). It was delicious!
My mom liked that it wasn't too sweet. I thought it was plenty sweet, but I seem to be more sensitive to the taste of sugar and processed stuff lately. One day I just woke up disliking meat and loving vegetables, enjoying oatmeal and not cold cereal. It was so weird... like my tastebuds decided to grow up overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment